Lloyd Metcalf Inc.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sketchbooks are your lifes blood!


Early this morning I ran out my door, hopped on my motorcycle and sped off to work. Once i got there, it was about 70, and the guy i support just didn't feel like doing much.
I found myself sitting on a porch, a head full of painting ideas with my coffee and nothing I could do about it.
At my work, its all about reusing as much as we can. A bunch of scrap paper quartered and stapled is my new sketchbook.
I had always heard artists humming the mantra draw everyday, keep a sketchbook handy but never thought much of it until I got a bit older. Practice does make perfect, or at least better, and a sketchbook doesn't need to be an investment made at a snobby art store.
Just a vehicle to record thoughts, ideas and doodles will fill the gap when inspiration runs low. This is how artists make it appear that they are a never-ending fountain of creativity. They work hard at their craft, refine it, and plan ahead.
With some sort of sketch pad, you can go back and refine your rough ideas you had when you were inspired. You will be grateful for this running art "savings account" when you find yourself under a deadline and without ideas.
So... No matter how fancy or humble, jot down, doodle and sketch those ideas!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is why I have such a vast collection of notebooks. I always want to write stuff down even if I don't sketch them so much as describe. :)

    ReplyDelete