Lloyd Metcalf Inc.

Monday, April 18, 2011

I ain't just squirtin' on the wall!

Banksy! If you haven't heard the name by now, you ARE living under a rock. Although admittedly he is better known on the streets of the UK, if you don't know the name, it's time to get with the program.

Drop everything you are doing right now, zip over to Amazon and pick up a copy of Exit Through the Gift Shop. You can also click over to Netflix and watch it right now on instant watch ( I believe). No matter how you get introduced to Banksy, make sure you do. The website is up and holding some great images of his street art as well.

I mention all this because of the upcoming talk in Portland Maine around street art vs. vandalism (see earlier post) and I think it may be important to head into this talk with a clear image of street art, and ask yourself what separates the two. The piece on the billboard, admittedly makes me squirm a little. I don't like the defacing, but I think that is the point.
Also take some time to consider the ad it is covering up.... not really much of a loss. The messages are so well communicated in all the work. Banksy leaves little ambiguity in his work, minimal guessing about what he wants to say. This message I think is what makes a defining difference.

Before you folks run off to Lowes to pick up a can of spray paint, it is still illegal, and even Banksy is coming more inside to show work. Street art can be commissioned, and I think there can be a working solution for everyone involved.
"Writing on stuff" is a human condition. It may not be me or you specifically who did it, but we all did. Lets reward the art, and clean up the junk..... in order to do that we need to be clear about which gets a frame, and which gets the hose.
What is the difference between a TAG and ART?
Let me know....

No comments:

Post a Comment