Lloyd Metcalf Inc.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Secrets of pulling an income from art?

The events of the past week have kept me struggling to get back in step with terminal positivity. I have now done it.
Let me introduce you all to Alan Bamberger owner of Art business.com.
Some may already be grumbling about this guy who is a professional art appraiser and apparently also helps artists to price, sell and market their work effectively.
I discovered this article (click it after you read this post) on his website and I think it summed up a number of things going through my head and heart lately.
That was fine and even better than fine terrific. I found this article very inspiring for me personally and ate up the whole thing.
Have you ever heard the saying "tip of the iceberg"? What if the ice berg was the tip of the north pole?
This man has a SLEW of articles aimed at helping artists learn or become familiar with the business side of what they do. After trying to catch my breathe at the amount of information and "sticky" articles on his site, I then realized there was ANOTHER section devoted to people interested in buying and collecting art.

I am now a Bamberger fan for sure I thought, look at all this!!! Scrolling through I realized he was also addressing digital art, and a modern world for artists to approach when they are ready to consider going pro.
I found his advice solid, "Price and sell locally, the national galleries will come later."

Things we should all know, he seems to state plainly and put your head back in the right place.
I found many of his articles inspiring, and very helpful. It's true that you are left with the full impression that the get the full "pro" experience you should call him.
Mr. Bamberger can easily consult world wide, phone or skype! For now I will be lost in the multitude of helpful articles and getting my studio in working order, but have his consulting tagged and marked on my "to do" list.
I don't see these articles as complete directions of how to, but as springboards of things to consider, research, and know when moving forward as an artist.
The articles give the ambitious artist and entrepreneur a place to focus, things to work on. No one can "make you a success" it has to be done first hand.

~Worth the read~
Lloyd Metcalf

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog Lloyd! Lovely layout and content. Keep the faith ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I have been working to try to get a consistent look across the board, website, blog, twitter... on and on

    ReplyDelete