Lloyd Metcalf Inc.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Have you heard this art?

Should I blog about a "band" in an artblog? Hell yeah!

When I see a live band on the billing for my favorite club, I usually start making other plans. I'm glad I didn't this evening! April 29th at the Asylum in Portland Maine, I met up with a few of my usual friends and some faces new to me and we tucked ourselves into the cramped downstairs venue. It was going to be Ludovico Technique opening for Aryia. Lights and gear filled  over 50% of the small floor space and I wasn't even sure what I was in for.
"Ludovico Technique" The words kept rolling around my head, where had I heard that? and what did it mean? The merchandise guy for the band finally put it together for me. It's the technique used to "cure" Alex in the movie "A Clockwork Orange".

So Ian, our friendly local DJ pulled the music down, and the drummer and keyboardist started in with digital, industrial ass kicking. Their sound is definately rounded out with the lead vocalist. I really enjoyed the digital sound mixing and keyboards with a real drummer. I could hear certain influences in their sound. Maybe they listen to Skinny Puppy? Some Trent Reznor for seasoning? but the music they were making was completely their own, fresh, exciting, driving, clean and totally "rock-out-able".
The whole band uses make up lights, and performance to present themselves as "goth industrial". I hope I'm not classifying them too much by saying this, certainly quite "industrial", but with an undeniable appeal.

The performance started to quite a stiff crowd, ignoring this, the band poured in 110% of themselves. The singer stepping into the crowd, up close and personal as he worked, began to spread his energy to the people in the crowd.
By the time their set was done, I was wishing for more, and the gathered people were well "lubed", dancing, and enjoying the show. I personally felt it was a shame these guys were opening and not headlining the night.

After their performance the guys came to mingle with the crowd. Their conversation and attitude were entirely positive, personable, and engaging. Complete professionals all around. I HAD to buy one of their CD's and find myself anxiously awaiting the full CD realease soon to come.
This is a band that without question fills the role of artists. In a time where the music business is filled with Disney and Nickelodeon made music with puppets holding microphones, I was wondering where the musicians are.
Here they are, I am so glad to push away the cobwebs of the old days. Iggy, Trent... subculture is doing just fine, look who we have in the next gen of musicians!
Get out and support these guys whenever and wherever you can. Do whatever it takes to get their CD's in your hands, like them on Facebook, Their website is in the works.
Just    -  wow  -

Has anyone else seen these guys perform? I would be interested in hearing other folks thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment