Lloyd Metcalf Inc.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Digital Art and Painting Mastery


Painting Value

When it comes to digital artwork one name that pops into my head as inspiring to watch is Xia Taptara.
Through this video and many others, Xia paints in value,  then lays in color and details afterward to create beautifully rich and deep artworks primarily within Adobe Photoshop.
His work may seem a little unfinished at first glance when compared to some other master digital works like those of Massive Black.

I find Xia works posted online to be overflowing with energy and motion. The use of line, brushes and color to convey a message is very striking. Some of the work on which he spends more time, is obviously more detailed. I find myself always clicking back to his quick sketches over and over again and just finding myself inspired by the energy in the lines.

Xia is a practiced professional artist, who reveals much more than most artists do during his speed painting videos. Many artists use the speed paintings as a vehicle for self congratulation, and a "look how great I am" sort of tool. Xia's narration through the videos is very clear and to the point about what he is doing.

His website and blog carry literally hundreds of videos from the very basic to the more advanced. Worth a look.

I find myself struggling with how does someone take fine art from a place like this (Adobe Photoshop) and land it in a gallery?
There is always the obvious print out sort of technique, but something comes up lacking in that I believe. I think I am coming to a workable solution of how to display digital works effectively.... I need to improve my own skills and find someone with an appropriate space to display.

Time to get back to work. I would advise any and everyone to take a stroll through Xia's website and become inspired in your own works. His advise and wisdom is sound, and his work amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment