Lloyd Metcalf Inc.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Gary Con V day II

Another Exciting Day

I started out Day two thinking I had a 10 AM game with Frank Mentzer. It was changed at some point, after I noticed my ticket it said 2:00PM. I had Wings at the bar for lunch and saw that the time on my computer was about 2:00pm.
I packed up and headed to the table. Frank was there, and I said, " I'm the first one?"
My computer was still on Eastern time and I was an hour early.
A lucky hour it was. Frank took the time to tell me, "You have been all over the place at this con, talking to all the artists, showing everyone your work, networking with all the right people and being seen everywhere. You are doing everything exactly as you should be if you want to get noticed in this business."
Forgive me Frank, I may be paraphrasing your words to me in that quote. He followed it up by offering encouraging words to keep it up and telling me,"I think you have what it takes!"
I guess that last part will be the part I remember the most.
So the rest of the group showed up eventually and we went into gaming. Frank's module was one that mimicked almost exactly the Salem witch trials, complete with New England style "directions" to get to someones house. It was a heavy in roleplay game. We were attacked early on by some wild barbaric dwarves and after capturing a few, my LN priest had some struggles with just killing them off, and made extra efforts to treat with them.
Frank had the above card created by troll lords from Lake Geneva Gaming Con IV from 2008 (Gary's last one). He awarded it to me for my clerical role play!!
He was kind enough to sign it, and my old beat-up over used book of Marvelous Magic. I had him personalize it to me. While this makes it not so valuable to a collector, it makes it invaluable to me!

More Good stuff!

Earlier in the day I met Diesel and Jeff Easley again in the vendor area. I started looking through original art that Diesel had on display, as I flipped through I recognized such artwork as that in the Monster Manual, the Bugbear, swanmay, and a bunch of other pieces. It was really nice to be able to touch the art that went into the work.
I was looking through Jeff Easley's artwork, and was telling him what an admirer I have always been. I told him my budget was very tight this year, but I wanted some of his pen and ink work, but I would have to wait for next year. I asked him what sort of price range he needed for some of the work, and he thought he could let go of some for $20!! I couldn't believe my ears, ran to the ATM and told him I had $40, and wanted him to choose what he would let me have for that. He flipped through and was unsure about the $40 mark, but he said anything here or here, pointing to some of his work... I said,"What about that beholder, I really like it."
"Oh, that's a comp I did for a possible poster layout, I would take $20 for that, so he was very kind and I left with two original Easley works that I REALLY like!!

A Chris Clark moment

 Earlier in the Con I had met Chris Clark, and got to show him my portfolio. If you don't recognize these names, don't feel too bad, but google around a little and you will find these "Old Guard" names related to Dungeons and Dragons.
Well, I apparently got more of his attention when I got to sit at his gaming table and was drawing a picture of my half orc cleric, "I need your card!" he said and I knew we would be talking soon enough about artwork going into the Eldritch Modules.
I left him a picture I doodled of his carnivorous chipmunk so he wouldn't forget.

Ode to Gary

In the downstairs gaming room, I came across an empty seat. "Reserved for the Original DM Gary Gygax" I felt a little downcast for a moment that I would never get to cross "Have Gary Gygax be my DM" off my bucket list. His old friends have filled his shoes well though, and I have been honored to put my feet under their dice laden tables this week.

Whew!!! and this is only day 2! the busy day will be tomorrow!!

I have no idea how I will pay my mortgage this month, but this trip has been worth while every step of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment